Sunday, January 4, 2009

Simple Goodness...

Christmas should be simple. Full of family time and warm wishes. When so much of this Holiday has gone commercial, I felt the need to simplify our Christmas holiday as much as possible. Yes, we still had many a festive time, but all was based on the idea of quality time spent with ones we hold close to our hearts. Not the gift giving and silly obligations society has attached to this once sacred of holidays.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we didn't exchange gifts at all, just simplified in a big way. And as a mom who loves to sew, it was super easy. The tradition of Mama-Made jammies gift to open on Christmas eve...flannel bottoms and a custom t-shirt. When I needed to finish the gift with a top, I gave Ausha a piece of the flannel and asked her to replicate it on the computer (I must tell you, Ausha does amazing artwork on the computer). After printing her work on fabric transfer print paper and simply ironing it on, I had a Mama-Made gift my girls now love. Not to mention the surprise and satisfaction on Ausha's face when she saw her artwork on a T-shirt.

That's what Christmas is about...the heart felt, simple goodness we all possess.

2 comments:

Going Crunchy said...

Wow! That is amazing!

Can you tell me more about what you mean by "gave her a piece of flannel." Did she do the work on the computer and your transferred it, or did she do it on flannel?

I'd love to try this with Lio.

Great post MyShell! And thanks for the goodies! As soon as I dig my way out (hopefully this weekend) I'm sending you a package. I got a little sidetracked.....think you know why.......Shannon

Myshell said...

I just handed her a scrap of the left-over fabric and by looking at it, she re-produced it on the computer using the "paint" file. You could use any of Lio's artwork, on or off the computer, by just scanning, saving and then printing and ironing it on. It was so simple to do. I hope that answers your question. Just a thought, this could make a great Father's Day gift...Hum.