Wednesday, September 12, 2007

More To Say...


I wanted to be more clear on my town's recycling program. Yes, there is more to the program than I had originally put forth. Basically, I was venting as to the lack of what I want to see in my hometown...At our regular transfer station the following materials are accepted: Aluminum cans, tin cans, newspaper, #1 & #2 plastic bottles, cardboard, magazines, office paper, computer paper, aluminum, copper, brass, radiators, stainless steel. Of course there is the battery, cell phone, scrap metals, and other such available. The only station that accepts glass, besides the Hagerman Fossil Beds National Park, is the Blaine County Recycling Center (the Fossil Beds are closer for me). Also, the curbside includes: cardboard, newspaper, aluminum cans, and tin cans. I am going to contact the National Park and talk to the director again, just to make sure glass is still a go...
And for the veggie and fruit stands, I just have to look harder. They aren't some "every day in the plaza" sort of thing...what a dream that would be. I am searching these people out and have come across some great products that really can't get much more local...like this one, Cowboy Tom's Flapjacks. Looks pretty tasty huh...

One more point, Idaho is GREAT. To get a glimpse into what some of the community and The University of Idaho have been doing, read the article: Living Smart, Living Well in the 21st Century in the University of Idaho Magazine, Fall 2007

If nothing else, perhaps I have "stood up a bit" for this beautiful state I love calling home. After all, I kinda did a bit of bashing last post.

1 comment:

Going Crunchy said...

Oh, I don't think you bashed! I think you are just passionate about your feelings about the environment.

Man, I *love* the photos. Can I come visit! Right now Colorado Springs, CO and Asheville, N.C. are on the tops of our list. After seeing the pics I might have to look at Idaho further.

Keep rattling your cages. I drive down my suburban street (WHERE THEY DO ALL THE FREAKING WORK FOR US IN RECYCLING) and see only one bin or two. I've realized from my own efforts that we can all easily double what we are recycling. It's the reduce parts that's the hardest.

When I had to take everything to a center I really thought about it all more.