Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ginger Fancy...



Cooking from the garden has proven such a delight for me this year. Finding new and exciting ways to cook dishes that, perhaps, have become a little worn-out or contains ingredients we no longer consume. It has been more than a year since I took our family off beef and there are just a few recipes I really miss, my ginger beef was one of them. Deciding not to give it up completely, I just changed the beef out for chicken. The flavor was not lacking in any way, and I felt good about feeding it to my children. The cilantro, green onions and zucchini were all picked by the kids...which I believe is a great tool in teaching our children the ways around a garden. Getting them involved in every step is important.

The zucchini sticks are simple. Just cut the zucchini into sticks, egg wash with egg-whites and then dredge in breadcrumbs. I like to add freshly grated parmesan to my breadcrumbs. Next, just drop into the skillet with some hot oil, and turn often.

Ginger Chicken...
Combine:
*1/4 cup sesame oil
*1/4 cup soy sauce
*2 cloves crushed garlic
*2 tbs grated ginger
*1 tbs lemon juice
*about 2 tbs chopped green onions
*1/4 cup brown sugar.

Add your 1 lb of chicken tenders and coat well with above marinade. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Add a bit of oil to your wok or iron skillet and cook. We like this dish over rice and with a bit of cilantro...which gives it a nice ending punch.

I always add more garlic, ginger and green onions then the recipe calls for and never cook just one pound of chicken. This is also a great camping meal. Just prepare as above without cooking and store in whichever Ziploc/storing system you prefer. Boiling water for rice and heating up the iron skillet is 'nothin but a thang' on the first night of camp. Oh...and it tastes sooo yummy up in the mountains...


My next change-up in this recipe...switching the chicken out for tofu.

No comments: