Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Back to Basics...



A very dear and close to my heart friend, Ginger -aka- gigimegs, is due to have another baby Christmas Day. As I have stated before, we are done making babies. So, this past weekend, I plunged deep into all my baby stuff...doing my part to get ready for Baby Cooper. I found myself going through bins of baby paraphernalia and remembering moments in time. A look back at my babies, and truly acknowledging the fact that we are done with the baby stage. This was a lot harder than it sounds. Emotional speed bumps, if you will...

As I was sorting baby items, I came across the baby bottles we used with Roxie when she didn't nurse. (I did pump my milk and it was a rare thing for her to have a bottle, only Mommy and Daddy nights really...a healthy must for all parents) Anyways, I was very upset when I realized what the bottles were made of! I am ashamed that I wasn't aware of these issues long ago. I feel it was my responsibility and I failed...

The bottles above are both made of plastic. The Disney bottle is made of a #7 plastic (#7 polycarbonate, which can leach bisphenol-A, a suspected hormone disruptor). The Playtex bottle liner is made of a #4 plastic. The Playtex product is what Roxie used the most, which makes me feel slightly better. Yes, I know...wasteful liners...what was I thinking?

I purchased a nice set of Evenflo glass baby bottles for our Baby Cooper. I know that with all the others worries and concerns and choices we must make, I am helping Cooper stay healthy when Momma can't nurse. Yes, I am living through Ginger and will call Cooper my baby as much as I like, can't wait to start sewing baby items...yippie!!!

There is more info out there on safe baby products...PLEASE look into this if you or a loved one is expecting. I like The Green Guide, very informative.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Mitch!! You are such a special, special person to me and my family!

gigimegs

Going Crunchy said...

Wow, I used them too. You can't beat yourself up for what you didn't know. I nursed Lio for about 8 months and then used bottles, and Lukie was never able to nurse (long story there) due to mastitis and non-latch on. He was a bottle baby from the get to.

If I have to do it again I would pay much more attention- - - but we all think this is safe for babies because nobody told us otherwise.

What you did for your friend from the get go is AWESOME. And keep spreading the word! Shannon